Recap: On and Off the Tenure Track: Career Paths and Hiring Practices
Wednesday, November 18 @ 1:00 in the Skylight Conference Room at the CUNY Graduate Center
The discussion on career paths and hiring practices ranged from practical suggestions to higher-order questions, including thorny issues related to the casualization of academic labor, the size of PhD programs, and ways that expanding our expectations of career outcomes might affect the structure of graduate programs (as well as who has access to those programs and who sees them as worth the investment).
This was the fourth of eight conversations as part of The University Worth Fighting For, a year-long project designed to tie student-centered, engaged practices in our classrooms to larger issues of institutional change, equality, race, gender, and all forms of social justice.
- Jade E. Davis, Associate Director, Digital Learning Projects, LaGuardia Community College
- Yaihara Fortis Santiago, Manager of Science Alliance, New York Academy of Sciences
- Jennifer Furlong, Director, Office of Career Planning and Professional Development, The Graduate Center
- Alex Gil, Digital Scholarship Coordinator, Columbia University Libraries
- Katina Rogers, Deputy Director, The Futures Initiative
44 Twitter users posted 249 times about #fight4edu