On October 17th, Futures Initiative fellow Gustavo Jiménez led a highly productive and informative session called Citizen, Immigrant, Visitor: (Un)certainties of the Non-Resident PhD Student. Here, students, faculty and administration came together on even footing to candidly discuss issues faced by international students, as well as brainstorm available resources both within and outside CUNY that we would like to make available on this page. You can read the public notes from this meeting here.
RESOURCES (as of October 2019)
Useful Organizations within CUNY
- Sharanya Dutta – Officer for Outreach at DSC: email her at email@example.com. Useful for international students and students who are not main-campus GC.
- Multicultural Support Group: Wellness Center – multicultural adjustment. Not just for international students.
- Office for International Students: Find a presentation on Life after Student Status here.
- Career Planning and Professional Development
- Teaching and Learning Center: sometimes offers specific workshops for international students teaching for the first time – https://internationalteachers.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
- Writing Center: offers both one-on-one meetings, as well as ongoing programming.
- Wellness Center: can refer you to therapists outside the GC as well, NYSHIP provides coverage
- Your union: PSC CUNY; Graduate Center Chapter
- Career Office: Can help demystify the job market process, offers useful workshops
Other Useful Resources
- New York Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
- Emergency funds available through student affairs and DSC for people who need money to pay for a lawyer or rent
- DSC has 2 free consultations with lawyers
- International Student Office has a list of immigration lawyers available as well
- DSC has a Health and Wellness resources site that has student-recommended healthcare providers and more
- TLC resource on teaching as an international student
- Fellowship resources: https://www.loyola.edu/department/national-fellowships/resources/international-students; https://oge.mit.edu/finances/fellowships/international/DSC listserv
- Institutional Research and Effectiveness data
- Podcast from CUNY Citizenship Now
- Election Clapback Syllabus (Fall 2016): includes a section of immigration-related resources.
- International student organization in process: Intl Student Office in conjunction w/ DSC
- Life after F1 and J1 student status – immigration attorney – offered through International Student Office (first week of December) **Stay tuned for dates and room numbers, forthcoming**
- Workshop Slides on Life After Student Status
- International Education Week – workshop on job search process in US (Intl Student Office and Career Office) **Stay tuned for dates and room numbers, forthcoming**
- Adjunct Project – Full and Fair Funding (end unfunded offers, support students beyond the fifth year)
If you are aware of additional resources, we welcome you to share them with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.