The Futures Initiative site can be used to build your own Site! To help you with the process, the FI web developers post weekly Tech Tips. To get started, see our tutorial on How To Build a Site on FI. If you already have a site or are a user of one of the FI sites, check out our growing list of tutorials:
- Why WordPress? Take Control and Build Your Own Course Site
- How to Export Your FI Site
- How to Create a Discussion Forum using WordPress & BuddyPress
- How to Work with Images in WordPress
- How to List Posts by Category in a Post/Page
- How to Choose a Theme
- How to Edit Menus
- How to Use Widgets
- How to Add Media
- How to Create a Password Protected Page/Post
- How to Post on FI Sites
- How to Add Users to Your FI Site
Only basic knowledge of WordPress is necessary to build a Site on the Futures Initiative.Building a Site on CBOX
For tech support from the Futures Initiative web developers, please contact: email@example.com
8 Simple Steps
- By registering for a Futures Initiative (FI) account, you get access to resources that let you create Groups and/or Sites
- Group: a space for internal conversations where students can collaborate and converse with one another
- Site: a space for resources (like syllabi) and more polished student reflections
- WordPress uses the terms Blog and Site interchangeably
- Groups/sites can be either public or private
- Great FAQ resource on Groups/Sites https://wiki.commons.gc.cuny.edu/FAQ/
Step 1: Go to the Futures Initiative site and click on Register.
Step 2: Fill out the information to create an FI account.
Step 3: Once you are signed up you will need to activate the account. Check your email and click on the activate link. *NOTE: your account must be approved by an administrator before you can logon, approval can take up to 48 hours.
Step 4: Once your account has been approved, go to the FI site and click on Log in. Enter your username and password to log into your account.
Step 5: Once you are logged into your account, you should be able to click on your name in the upper righthand corner of the screen. Scroll down to Sites. Click on Create a Site.
Step 6: You will then be asked to provide an URL, site name, and to decide whether or not your Site will be publicly available via search engines. You can also further customize the Site’s privacy, and decide who will be able to see the Site.
Step 7: Once your Site has been created, you will be able to view both its front and backend (Dashboard). The Dashboard is where you will control the site’s settings, organization, and appearance.
Step 8: Using the Dashboard you can now add and customize content on Posts, Pages, add custom Menus, select a Theme, and add Widgets.